Multi-phased project for Buildings 27 and 32.
The General Motors Milford Proving Grounds was the first automotive testing facility when it opened in 1924. It is located in Milford, Michigan and covers 4,000 acres. Today the grounds include the equivalent of 132 miles of roads for vehicle testing, 107 buildings and a staff of 4,800. General Motors needed renovations to occur in Buildings 27 and 32, and an addition added to Building 27, as well as moving and installing equipment. CCC was contracted by GM for this design/build project.
The first construction task for CCC was to build new offices in Building 32, and then move operations in Building 27 to the new offices. Next Building 27 underwent renovations in two areas and a 17,000-square-foot addition for a durability, performance and spin loss dynamometer test area complete with prototype manufacturing and garage area for install.
The scope of work for this $14 million, multi-phased project included foundations for building addition and new equipment/bedplates, new lights, paint, concrete flatwork, vehicle lifts, bedplate installation, new offices, new concrete floor with epoxy finish, installation of new substation, structural steel for new OH bridge cranes in renovated area, new ADA elevator and material lift. CCC used seven subcontractors, and self-performed concrete, rigging, steel fabrication/erection, and interior finish scope of work.
When this project was completed, General Motors became the only automotive manufacturer that can test, engineer, machine and implement gears into use in one facility.